Sunday, February 21, 2010

Between Jan 27th and 31st I visited Carmel, California to present a paper at the Sunset Center. The quaintest little town right next to the sea, Carmel, home to many artists and Clint Eastwood, George Sterling, Beverly Cleary and Brad Pitt, is the prettiest place I have seen for a long time. The roads are small, going up and down and twisting like the artistically lined birch trees. People are window shopping and have a care free look on their faces. Houses are brightly colored and the foliage can never make you guess that its right on the sea. The 10 minute drive from Monterey airport to Carmel is as scenic as driving inside Shimla. The roadside cafes are bright and colorful and serve the most delicious sandwiches. I walked about the whole place. Albeit alone! And as night fell I came across these romantic words.




Waiting


If there was a way I could
Drift into sleep I would
If there was a way I could
Close my eyes I would
But sleep alluded just as dreams did
I followed footsteps and waited for the door to bid
To see your pale cold face
Dampened by the sea breeze
That blew in gushes as the night darkened


Every sound, every breath, every creak
On the wooden stairs, that led up the hallway
Heightened my anxiety and excitement
That you would come
With your pale cold face
Dampened by the sea breeze
That blew in gushes and the night darkened


I wondered what I would speak
I wondered what we would share
I wondered what I would hold
I wondered whether you would care
My hurried plans and elevated spirits
An aching heart withholding mysteries


Times have changed
I have changed
No more a little girl am I
I wait not for flowers nor praises nor gifts
I seek only your hand on my head
And the momentary wiping of fears and futures


The night darkened further
As the breeze grew fiercer
Rain starting to pour
I pulled the sheets further up and kept watching the door


Then footsteps sounded and certainly stopped
And I heard my name whispered lightly
Throwing the sheets back I rushed to the door
Opening it a creek I saw, the long black jacket recede
Smiles and laughter filled the passage
As another mature heart met her lover



1.Carmel roads

2.At the Coachman Inn's fire place
3.Art work on display

4.Sunset Center
5.Coachman's Inn

6.Sandwich Bar on 8th street

7.Pacific Ocean right at the door step
8.Lush foliage near the ocean
9.Monterey to LA--from air

10.LA from air

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHERE IS JULIE?